Movies are an excellent way to learn a new language. The plot, the dialogue, and the actors all contribute to a more immersive experience of another culture. On top of that, watching movies teaches you more than just vocabulary — it also helps you learn how people in that culture might act or what they might say in certain circumstances.
You could easily argue that understanding how someone thinks is even more important than understanding the words they use.
What does it mean to watch the film in the original version?
Watching films in the original version is not the same as watching films in your native language with subtitles. You should fully understand and comprehend everything that is said or shown on screen, from start to finish. If you’re having trouble understanding something, you should be able to turn on captions and read along with what’s being said; this will also help you learn new words.
The following are some of the advantages of watching a film in the original version.
- Watching the movie in its original language gives you an ideal opportunity to learn about the culture and background of the movie
- Sometimes, you will find that an English translation does not always do a good job at conveying the subtleties and “essence” of the movie or the original language
- You will find that people who understand the original language better have a much more satisfying and rewarding time watching it
- You will be able to absorb more culture from a movie that has not been translated into another language
- You better understand the actor’s personality by hearing their native language
- Watching a movie in its original language puts you into the atmosphere of the movie and makes you believe that what you are watching happened
- You will find that the original music that was used in the movie is often much more powerful and exciting than the new music in a translated version
- Watching movies in the original language is a good way to immerse yourself in another culture.
Movies are a good way to learn a language and an ideal way to immerse yourself in another culture, and for many of us, we all hope that the day will come when we can speak or understand the language of our favorite movie. Watching foreign films in their original version is one way to get to know other cultures, people, and subcultures.